Quoted many times as a "worth the price of admission alone"
event, this is a show you don't want to miss. A 20 minute evening show
spectacular on the Rivers of America that costs Disney a staggering $75,000
per show. Each performance contains fireworks, water screens, fountains, fire,
boats, great music, lasers, hoards of Disney characters, one courageous little
mouse and heaps more!
Usually showing on nights the park is opened 10pm+ (weekends and throughout
busy holiday periods), Fantasmic! is a great way to top off any day at
for the best experience
- Check your 'Park Map Guide' and see if Fantasmic! is running and how
many shows and their times.
- For the first show of the night arrive about 30 minutes early on a
'normal' attendance day, about 60 minutes early on a high attendance day. (
Having a book like
this comes in most handy for these occasions)
- For the second show, usually after fireworks or a parade running
simultaneously nearer the centre of the park, follow the crowds as quickly
and calmly as possible to the second show, which is usually a little less
- Try for a middle of the river stage view, roughly in-between Pirates
of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion (see below image)
- About 10 rows back should be a safe distance back to avoid for any
splashes and mist.
- If you have small children, think about a position where they will be able
to see over adults.
- While mum and dad wait in position saving the spot for the kids, the
younglings can plod off and see another. If it's a busy day with long queues
then it may only be safe to visit smaller attractions like the Tarzan Tree
House or Whine the Pooh Adventure so you don't miss the start, otherwise
there are many attractions close buy including Indiana Jones, Splash
Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain.
Mobile phones or walkie-talkies are a good way for the kids to find you
- Get some food/drink before you start waiting and visit the bathroom too!
With your wait for the start, the 20 minute show, the anticipation and
excitement of the show, (and full bathrooms once its finished) you're smart
to go before hand.
- Fantasmic! can be cancelled for bad weather, especially wind, for safety
reasons. If the weather's a little suspect, rock up only 10 minutes before
show time to avoid a 60 minutes wait to be told its cancelled.
- Have a plan of an easy to find land mark of where to meet (especially with
children) for if you get separated. Show changeovers and finishes spark mass
crowd movements (yup just like a heard of cows).
49 performers, 60 crew
$75,000us per show
3, each 30 feet tall by 50 feet wide and 6 inches thick
'KAA,' The Snake
100 feet long
Peter Pan Croc
25 feet tall, 12 feet wide, 17 feet tall
Ursula, The Sea Witch
20 feet tall, 32 feet wide
Sleeping Beauty Dragon
45 feet tall
Lasers, fog effects, water fountains,
fireworks, and fiber-optics technology
Sound effects: A full
orchestral score and a variety of sound effects are presented in full
surround sound on an all-new, computer-controlled, state-of-the-art
Projectors located on the
Island create images on the screens using 70 mm film.
- Fantasmic! was originally called
"Imagination" in 1992
- 120 "theatre blacks" had to be
made as costuming for the stage crew.
- the show cost $75,000 per show. Some
nights feature as many as 3 shows. In comparison, Fantasy in the Sky
Fireworks cost $58,000 for one show a night.
- The average number of guests seeing
Fantasmic is about 15,000
- Underneath Tom Sawyer's Island there is
a 15 foot basement that is the main storage area for Fantasmic!
- On Fantasmic the snake is held by the
pirates. If you look under it you can see their pants. This is used to
get them from one side of the island to the other where the pirate
- The Barges used in Fantasmic each have a
Each Barge (except Crocodile) has a driver
and a technician. The driver drives, and the tech controls the lights,
sound and effects. The tech also does the change-over between passes.
If you watch the area on the island across from the Mark Twain Dock,
you can watch barges 1 and 2 dock, offload performers, and change the
effects. If you watch the dock across from the canoe dock, you'll see
barge 3 dock and change over, also the Columbia will stop and unload
- Barge 1 starts by the canoe dock, is
the first monkey barge, and then is Snow White's.
- Barge 2 starts by the canoe dock, is
the second monkey barge, then is Beauty and The Beast's.
- Barge 3 starts from the Mark Twain,
docked at the Fort, is King Louie's barge, then is the Little
- Barge 4, the Crocodile, follows the
- Barge 5, Ursula, starts from the
Mark Twain, then hides in the inlet by the Indian Village.
- Maleficent is really a man because the
costume is so heavy.
- No other soundtrack has sold more albums
inside Disneyland park than the soundtrack of Fantasmic. One time,
when they were out of CD's,
- My daughter and I commented a while ago
about how, when the music starts all the ducks take off and fly away.
We thought at first that they had been programmed to recognize that
the music signified the start of the show and that they knew it was
dangerous. Talking with cast members about this, though, we found out
that when the music starts a crew starts feeding the ducks on the
other side of the island. So the music does not warn them about the
show, but rather tells them there's food to be found where they ain't.
And they go where it is, which just happens to be out of harm's way.
- During Fantasmic you may notice that on
the balcony next to the Disney Gallery there probably are people up
there sitting watching Fantasmic. The Fantasmic dessert now costs $39.
You must make reservations at Guest relations, just to the right of
the entrance at the main gate. They can seat up to 20 people. I got in
line at 6:30 am was 4th in line. I got seats 19 and 20. Go for the 9
am showing and you can stay and watch the fireworks. Definitely worth